Thursday, September 29, 2011

The "Gay" Community needs a new name. a vent

There's no doubt, the NEW definition of the word "Gay" now means "stupid" and "horrible" by mainstream popularity. i think a new name would be a better idea, i mean how many people say "That horrible game is so lesbian" or anything like that? let's face it. they won, i think a new name would be a good idea, that way, everyone wins, and some people (Like me) wont be constantly aggravated over it. honestly i couldnt come up with a new title but it'd be much better than it translating out to "The "Stupid" Community" or anything. Tell me what you think, i SERIOUSLY doubt we'd ever win the word back to it's originality, kids will be brought up by it, say like i did with the word "retarded" to describe something bad. as now the word is now a negative thing, people, generally KIDS will see a homosexual aka "a gay person" and automatically assume theyre something to hate upon. Tell me what you guys think would you like a change in it or do you think it's fine as it is?

3 comments:

  1. No no, you're definitely right. Although the original meaning for the word Gay IS happy. But I don't know if People in the community would like the PRIMARY word to be Homosexual. "Hi everyone, welcome to the club were friendly HOMOSEXUAL people meet to chat.".. I think that's not a very good example cause it didn't sound too bad but you know what I mean. Only problem is, what word could they possibly use?

    Also, I'm not gonna lie, I tend to use that sentence sometimes, that "oh that's gay" line, but I also prefer stressing that I don't mean gay in a connection to homosexual people in any way shape or form. I mean it closer to its original meaning: happy. Which can then be associated with Corny, which in MY terms, gets turned into gay. But I have tried to stop saying it as of lately BECAUSE I understand people do take it offensively. But I never used gay as replacement for horrible or stupid... well no, actually stupid yes. But not in the "I'm calling it stupid " but the "It's dumb"..kind of... way... It's the same thing T_T

    Alas, prime example, what your brought up to use (or in my case, hear used in school) can have an effect on how you go about things in life.. or say things to mean things they should not necessarily mean. :)

    ReplyDelete